November 17, 2020
Today’s post reviews Bridgestone winter tire testing by Consumer Reports to explain why so many Canadians trust the Blizzak series to keep them safe come winter.
Consumer Reports 2020 Bridgestone Winter Tire Review
If you’re looking for quality referrals, reviews, and winter tire tests, Consumer Reports is a great starting point.
Every year, Consumer Reports’ tire testing program subjects winter tires to dozens of tests on the roads, at local ice rinks, and at their renowned Auto Test Center in Westchester, New York.
“Our 327-acre auto test center is the world’s largest and most sophisticated independent automobile testing center devoted to consumer interests,” states the Consumer Reports website. It is home to almost 30 full-time staff members, comprising engineers, writers, editors, statisticians, technicians, and support staff.
So what does the Consumer Reports lab have to say about Bridgestone winter tires?
In a 2020 study, Consumer Reports looked at the performance of the Bridgestone Blizzak WS90 winter/snow tire, and here’s what they found:
- Bridgestone winter tires perform in all weather. “True to form, the tire has outstanding snow traction and braking on ice like most competitors, but without the common sacrifice of dry and wet grip,” writes Consumer Reports. This is quite a feat, considering most winter tires have to sacrifice some dry-road handling to maximize winter performance.
- Bridgestone winter tires provide superior braking without breaking the bank. Compared to the other two tires tested, the Bridgestone Blizzak WS90 offered the best value, priced at only $1 more than the Firestone WeatherGrip all-seasons, and more than $50 less per tire than the Bridgestone TuranzaQuietTrack All-Seasons.
This echoes last year’s test results by CarAndDriver, which state that, “Both on its own and against the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 and Continental WinterContact SI… the WS90 proved to be a serious snowshoe.” The Bridgestone Blizzak WS90 proved best-in-class, with “superior ice grip, both in acceleration and braking,” a “reassuringly strong turn-in bite into corners on packed snow,” and “a confidence-inspiring level of stability and feedback as we gently drifted around the school’s higher-speed handling course.”
What follows is a closer look at some of the performance features that so impressed the Consumer Reports team.
Why Buy Blizzak WS90s? Top Features of Bridgestone Winter Tires
- 15% more block edges than the WS80 Bridgestone winter tire to help you stop shorter on icy roads
- Three-dimensional sipe design for improved handling response in snow, slush, and ice
- New tread compound with larger contact areas and an updated silica-enhanced rubber with hydrophilic properties to improve tire performance on ice and water
- 30% more block stiffness in tread patterns for enhanced responsiveness and tread wear life—enough to last an additional season of use, according to Bridgestone
- Patented multicell technology that bites deeper for better road grip and less slippage
- Winter tire warranty extending coverage up to 5 years from the date of purchase
Find Bridgestone Winter Tires at your local TIRECRAFT
TIRECRAFT carries all the most popular Bridgestone winter tires, including:
- Bridgestone Blizzak WS60
- Bridgestone Blizzak WS70
- Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 RFT
- Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60
- Bridgestone Blizzak W965
- Bridgestone Blizzak WS80
- Bridgestone Blizzak WS90, and many more
Furthermore, we are currently offering a $100 Bridgestone VISA prepaid card when you buy a set of 4 eligible Bridgestone winter tires before December 13th, 2020.
Visit our website and use the Find a TIRECRAFT tool to start your free Bridgestone winter tire consultation.Back