June 7, 2021
Is it time to buy a new set of summer tires? TIRECRAFT is here to help. In today’s post, we discuss how to tell if it’s time for an upgrade, then share 3 tips to find the perfect summer tire fit.
Read on or contact your local TIRECRAFT to speak directly with a summer tire specialist near you.
How Do I Tell When I Need New Summer Tires?
- Performance dropoff. If your vehicle isn’t handling as well as usual, or your stopping distances are getting longer, it might be time for a new set of summer tires. Make time for a quick summer tire inspection, or contact your local TIRECRAFT to get a professional opinion.
- Visible wear and tear. Are your tire treads worn down? Grab a Canadian quarter for a quick tread test. Stick the quarter into one of the grooves where the tread appears the lowest, head facing down. If the top of the figurehead is covered by tread, you’ve got a safe (and legal) amount of tread. However, if you can still see most of the figurehead, it’s time to replace your summer tires.
Of course, low tread depth isn’t the only warning sign. Do you notice any uneven tread wear, such as cupping or feathering? Are the sidewalls weathered, cracked, bulged, or split? If you notice any of these visible signs of wear and tear, it’s time to explore your summer tire options.
- Tire manufacturing date. Even if your tires look fine, you should book a summer tire inspection if it’s been longer than 5 years since the tire was made. To find your tire’s age, look for the DOT number stamped on the sidewall. The last 4 digits represent the week and year that the tire was manufactured. For example, suppose your tire sidewall reads DOT 4B9Z 747R 3215. Based on the final four digits—3215—we can infer that this tire was made on the 32nd week of 2015, which means you’re overdue for a summer tire upgrade!
How To Find The Perfect Summer Tire: Be Tire Smart With TIRECRAFT
According to Be Tire Smart Canada, Canadian consumers must consider the following three summer tire factors to find the perfect fit:
- Vehicle fit—Make sure your summer tires have the right size, speed rating, and load index for your vehicle. You can find these details in your owner’s manual, on the information placard by the driver’s door, or by asking your local TIRECRAFT expert.
- Driving conditions—Before you find the perfect fit, you’ll need to think carefully about your local weather and driving conditions. After all, the summer tire category covers a wide range of tire types, from balanced tires that stay road-worthy in wet and dry conditions, to ultra performance sticky tires that excel on tracks but aren’t suited for daily driving. For professional recommendations that factor in your unique weather conditions, contact your local TIRECRAFT.
- Performance preferences—Are you looking for better fuel economy? Less road noise? Better grip, or maybe a more comfortable drive? Whatever your performance preferences, your local TIRECRAFT can help you find the perfect fit. Just hand your feature wish list to your TIRECRAFT tech, and we’ll prepare a shortlist of recommendations based on your preferences and budget.
Browse All The Top Summer Tires—Contact Your Local TIRECRAFT
Use the Find a TIRECRAFT tool to find a local summer tire specialist and browse all the top brands under one roof.Back