October 28, 2021
Stop overpaying for unnecessary upkeep. More than one third of Canadians are guilty of over-maintenance. If you’re among them, the TIRECRAFT vehicle maintenance plan could save you money.
Read on to learn the best vehicle maintenance plan, according to ASE-certified automotive experts, or contact your local TIRECRAFT for a personalized maintenance consultation.
1 In 3 Canadians Overpay For Vehicle Maintenance And Repairs
Most drivers know their vehicle’s purchase price, but far fewer have a grasp on how much it actually costs them every year, says Kristine D’Arbelles of the Canadian Automobile Association (CAA). When you factor in the price of insurance, gas, licensing and registration, parking, tires, depreciation, and preventative maintenance, vehicle costs can quickly add up.
Most estimates place the total cost of vehicle ownership between $8,600 and $13,000 per year, writes one Global News report.
If that seems a bit high to you, that’s probably because it is! Unfortunately, a huge number of Canadians are currently paying more than they should, thanks in large part to a phenomenon known as over-maintenance, which refers to excessive automotive upkeep, such as monthly oil changes or annual transmission services. According to a seminal study by the Automobile Protection Association, as many as 1 in 3 Canadians are currently overpaying for auto maintenance and repairs.
In many cases, auto repairs shops are to blame for over-maintenance. Some technicians simply overcharge for services, while others set unrealistic vehicle maintenance plans, recommending more upkeep than is required in an attempt to drum up more business. The best way to protect yourself from these unscrupulous practices is to educate yourself on proper pricing and vehicle maintenance plans. And your local TIRECRAFT is here to help.
Read on to learn the best vehicle maintenance plan, according to ASE-certified automotive experts, or contact your local TIRECRAFT to ask any questions and get a free quote on any service.
Stop Over-maintaining: What’s The Best Vehicle Maintenance Plan?
- Basic service—To maximize your chances of catching minor problems before they turn into major expenses, we recommend booking a basic vehicle service every 5,000km or 3 months of driving.
- Oil changes—To keep your engine running smoothly, we recommend changing your oil every 5,000 to 10,000km or 3 to 6 months, depending on your vehicle, driving demands, and oil type.
- Tire rotations—To prevent uneven wear and maximize your tread life, we recommend rotating your tires every 10,000km or 6 months of driving.
- Wheel balancing—To keep your tires and suspension system in good health, book a wheel balancing service every 20,000km or 12 months of driving.
- Tire alignment—To make sure the rubber meets the road at the optimal angle, book a tire alignment every 20,000km or 12 months of driving.
- Brake inspection—For peace of mind and better braking performance, book a brake inspection every 20,000km or 12 months of driving.
- Cooling system maintenance—To keep your vehicle from overheating on the road, add cooling system upkeep to your vehicle maintenance plan every 40,000km or 24 months of driving.
- Engine service—Engine service is recommended after 40,000km or 24 months of driving.
- Transmission service—Transmission service is recommended after 40,000km or 24 months of driving.